This 100% archival cotton canvas from Fredrix has been primed with a specially-formulated gesso that performs similar to cold-press or rough watercolour paper and is suitable for all water-based paint and inks. Get the texture, durability, and versatility of canvas for your watercolour paintings.
Some of the benefits of watercolour canvas on a stretcher frame include:
- Brighter, bolder colours - the paint doesn't soak into the canvas as it does with paper, resulting in richer, more brilliant colours with higher contrast.
- Will not tear - use wet-on-wet, lifting, and scratching and scraping techniques without worry of surface damage or buckling.
- Indefinitely reworkable - never throw away a canvas again since you can always rework or even wipe off the colour entirely and repaint, as long as it isn't sealed. Once the painting is complete and sprayed with an acrylic UV fixative, it is archival.
- Frame without glass - avoid the glare and weight that comes with needing glass to protect your work. Attractive floating frames are a great option.
- Go frameless - stretched watercolour canvas allows you to paint on the sides of the canvas, allowing it to be displayed without a frame.
Fredrix primed watercolour canvas is available in 58" width. It is currently available per yard.
** Primed canvas is always shipped rolled. **
In-stock canvas typically ships in 5-7 business days but our turn-around times do vary depending on our workload. Please notify us if you have a specific deadline.
Additional tips and techniques for working with watercolour canvas, courtesy of watercolour artist, Tom Lynch, can be found here.